Thursday, August 4, 2011

Friend Friday:Location Influences Fashion

Katy at Modly Chic asked a compelling question for this week's Friend Friday. Does where you live influence what you wear? I didn't think so until I started answering the questions. Now I believe it has. A big part of my style is dependent on what I'm doing. I tend to move around and do a lot of different things. Have little mini-rebirths all the time (I was born on a New Moon. Does that have anything to do with it?) Anyway, here's what I came up with:


1. What part of the world do you blog from?

Burbank, California

2. If you had to describe the overall mode of dress for where you live what would you say?

Burbank is like a small town just on the outskirts of Crazy Town (Hollywood). People dress really normal here. Not flashy. Not super fashionable. But most people look pretty put together compared to how I remember people dressing when I lived in the South and Midwest.

I also work in downtown Los Angeles at a Fashion/Applied Arts college so the dress there is uber stylish and creative.

3. Do you fit in with the status quo around you or do you break the mold?

I fit in pretty well. I did my freaky "look at me" phases when I was younger. If a place is too boring I tend to act out and dress more wild. It's a small enough town here that there's a good chance of running into someone you know at the store or something so I try not to ever look too awful.

4. If you have lived or traveled to another part of the country/world did your clothing choices evolve?

I'm a chameleon. Seems like I'm constantly starting over. Growing up in Texas I was very conservative and always just trying to fit in (even though everyone called me weird. *snort The nerve) Then I saw the Ramones in "Rock and Roll High School" at the drive-in when I was 17 and it changed my life.



Went to college in Austin and got into Punk Rock and Rockabilly.

Moved to NY and mostly wore black.

Some other stuff happened...

Moved back to Houston. Started doing more acting and stand-up than costuming so my wardrobe was pretty normal.

I've been in CA for almost 9 years now? Wow. That went by fast. I think there's an inherent expectation to stay on top of the trends a little more here since this area is so influential to fashion. And you really can't go anywhere without being reminded that you're in the heart of the Film Industry. Especially in Burbank where most of the studios are.

For a little visual history go here

5. If you had to describe your style by naming a specific city, what would you be?
My own private Idaho. Oh, wait. That's a state.

2 comments:

  1. OMG: Rock & Roll High School AND My Own Private Idaho? In the SAME POST? You are my new role model. I do think a lot of bloggers I read were influenced by the punk era. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm following now...enjoy your posts! Debbie http://thriftygirlvintage.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, friend.