Friday, August 19, 2011

It's Okay To Say "No"

Okay, I hesitated to put this out there and I won't go into too much detail (because I don't want to) but I have had a tough few weeks. I took on a costume design project (which is the sewing project I mentioned a few times) that was just too big for me. That's hard to admit. I've designed costumes for 30 years and have a degree in it and worked on Broadway and shit and I've always pulled through. This time I had to quit.

Dying 15 yards of fabric on my porch. Eccch.

It's kind of a family legacy to worry a lot and feel really guilty about everything. But honestly, I just feel relieved. Because of that project I was also dropping the ball on my other jobs and commitments. My driver's license expired and I didn't realize it. Bills didn't get paid (yikes). I still have tons of grading to do. I was overwhelmed and nobody benefitted.

I see this as a big life lesson. Is it a coincidence that it happened right when I was turning 50? I don't know.
Here are some things I've learned though:

1. It's okay to say "no"
2. I'm not doing costumes again unless I have a shop, a good budget and a crew. And probably not even then.
3. Time management is effing awesome (I've heard)

There's probably some more stuff but I'm already starting to bore myself. zzzzzz I tried to take outfit photos today but there was a little snafu and now it's dark. I will say I got some pretty amazing things from the thrift store which I will be wearing soon. (hint: leopard swingy trench-YES!)

I'm finishing up the Powerpoint for the Museum presentation tomorrow.  That'll be fun.  I hope you are all well and taking good care of yourselves.

5 comments:

  1. Leopard swingy trench?! Where is this magical thrift store you speak of? (Probably not Tulsa.) Glad you have reduced your stress load. Sometimes I think that the ones asking us to commit to a project without proper resources shouldn't be surprised when they have to find somebody else to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for saying No and not feeling guilty. It's a relief. Time management . . . interesting concept.

    Show us the trench, pls!

    Patti @ NotDeadYet Style

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you!

    Looking forward to seeing that leopard trench...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope things get better for you. Life is too short to be stressed out. I learned that the hard way. Be happy and please share that leopard thingy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, I get myself in over my head at times too. I really would like to see the powerpoint of your presentation.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, friend.