Thursday, August 25, 2011

Feeling Good Looking Blue

Yesterday we had Fall Training for the FIDM Speakers' Bureau at the Wilshire Grand Hotel in Downtown L.A. I wore a dress I got at one of my recent Goodwill trips. You can't really tell, but it has little black oblong polka dots on it. My daughter really likes this dress. She said it's the same thing they're selling at Urban Outfitters. It's probably from the early '80s and colorful! Yay. Unfortunately some of the pictures are a little blurry but you get the idea..


Dress-(thrifted)
Vintage navy slip-(thrifted)
Leopard belt-(birthday gift)
Bracelets-(vintage)
Purse-(FIDM Scholarship store)
Shoes-(thrifted)

I got to see one of my favorite people, Nancy Riegelman. She is a sketching teacher at FIDM and a very talented artist as well. Not to mention, one of the sweetest and coolest ladies out there. She said she was going to check out my blog. Hi, Nancy!


Nancy is also the author of 9 Heads: A Guide To Drawing Fashion which is used all over the world as a text book for fashion classes and schools.

9 Heads: A Guide to Drawing Fashion (3rd Edition)

Nancy taught us how to make the 9 head croquis (kro-kee). Here's mine:


I added hair and a face and some clothes. Trying to keep this blog PG.

I linked this to Thursdays Are For Thrifters by the way. Check it out.

6 comments:

  1. Joanie, that is a fab vintage dress that's absolutely current too. And blue is your color, lady. Does 9 heads mean the ideal fashion figure is 9 heads tall?

    -Patti @ NotDeadYet Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patti-Yes, 9 heads is the standard body length for fashion drawing. It's completely implausible, but Nancy said it's a recurring mathematical equation in nature and draws attention away from the body and more toward the clothes. In costume design we learned 8 heads which is closer to real life.

    And thank you about the dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blue is a dynamite color on you. The 9 heads is very interesting. Years ago, I did some sketching of outfits, but I never knew the correct way to do it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dress, you look so vintage chic, the colors are so awesome. Great buy!

    Keep on sketching, I love it and can't stop!

    Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog! Have a great weekend!

    love,mongs
    mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dress and it looks wonderful on you! ~Serene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay-that dress is beyond fabulous. It looks sooo current and perfect right now. Can't believe you came across it at a Goodwill! and you look gorgeous in blue!
    -Meagan
    http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment, friend.